Wednesday 4 December 2013

Not so much a lot of news as a lot of photos!!


I can't believe another couple of weeks have nearly slipped by since my last post.  Doesn't time fly!  We have been quite busy so I suppose that's the reason.  The weather here has become quite cold, especially as evening draws in, and our wood burner is on every day from late afternoon.  Having said that, the days have been very sunny and bright and there's been no sign of rain lately.  I don't want to know the physics of it all but I suspect the beautiful red skies we've been having at night explain it all.  Here's an example...

We've awoken to frosts in the last few days which reminded me that we have been rather remiss with our bird feeding of late!  We have now stocked up on sunflower seeds (which our local birds seem to favour most of all!), filled up the feeders with the seeds, plus some other feeders with peanuts and yet others with fat balls!  Our reward came within hours when Danny spotted no less than four birds all chomping away at one feeder...

Our kitchen fitter returned last Friday to finish off some things he'd had to put off until Danny had done the painting.  And now I have a little shelf between the worktop  and the wall units on the two main walls!   I have made a start on unpacking the boxes of kitchen items but there's a way to go yet.  Still, I am making some hard decisions and am giving away some things that I know I won't be using again.  Nonetheless, I am keeping quite a lot of things which I hope to use again, like all my cake decorating equipment for example!

As I've said before, the end wall of the kitchen can't be finished until  the window is replaced with the new door.  And that's not going to happen before February.  It's a shame as it "spoils" the whole thing but this is what the rest now looks like....




I have to admit I am THRILLED to bits with my new kitchen! I just need to be patient now till the rest of it can be finished!

One of the lovely things about this time of year here is the start of all the Christmas markets.  The first one we've been to was last Saturday and it was an evening market at a most beautiful village called Saint Loup sur Thouet.  The village is dwarfed by its chateau, click here to read about and see pictures if you're interested.  It is a popular venue for weddings by the look of it!  But for us on the evening of the market, we just wanted to wander around the winding streets and look at all the fabulous things on the stalls.  We got there about 6.30pm and it was already full of people, who seemed to be out in large family groups.  The atmosphere was fantastic and although I've tried, I don't think my photos really capture that.  But hopefully, you'll get a flavour of the evening...








The fifth photo is the window of a boulangerie (baker's) and I think you'll agree it's just beautiful.

I expect we will be going to other Christmas markets over the next couple of weeks but I think this one will take some beating, certainly in terms of its ambience.

At the moment we have what is probably going to be our last visitor of the year!  Danny's son, Paul, is here for a few days.  He's been earning his keep, working on the truck and my car, shifting wooden beams and so on.  And of course, he couldn't resist getting out and chopping some wood....




I'm going to leave you with a picture of a little cardigan I recently knitted for my new baby cousin...only to give you an example of the other ways in which I occupy my time!  Here it is....


Till next time....à bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment