Sunday 25 January 2015

Just odds and ends!

I'm afraid there's not much to tell you but I didn't want the week to slip by without any sort of update.

After a number of weeks of rain, we have had some dry, bright and sunny days.  But cold!  On Friday I noticed that the gauge in the car was showing -1°C.  Brrrr!  Still, we can't complain as northern France and indeed, the UK, has had snow and ice.  Here are just a couple of photos I took recently, the first of sunny, blue skies and the second from yesterday evening.


 
Our well-laid plans to get various projects done through the winter have stagnated somewhat!  I have had all good intentions to start stripping the wallpaper from the lounge walls but as yet haven't made a start!  I'm determined to crack on with it this week though!  Danny has finished putting wood stain on the part of the staircase that had been enclosed and it looks very nice.  Here's a picture of the finished thing and as you will see, one advantage of having an open staircase is that we can see if our cat Whisper is on her way down!

I am getting on well with my training for My Peak Challenge walking a bit further every time I go.  Today, Finn and I walked for 4.9km.  And with Finn it is always a good workout because he walks quickly (I should say, he trots, really!) and isn't too interested in stopping to sniff at anything!  I may have to revise my goal as it is clear that I'll achieve the 5km very soon!  Do have a look at My Peak Challenge Diary at the top of the blog.  I've revised it so that the most recent entry is always at the top and I try to update it every few days or so.  And I thought you might be interested to see the seemingly endless path where I do this walking.....


On a completely different subject, Danny and I went to the cinema yesterday!  Believe it or not, it was the first time we had ever gone to the cinema together!  Danny's not a particular lover of the cinema and somehow we've just never been!   (In the UK, we used to rent films on DVD so it was never an issue!).  Anyway, I heard that there was to be a screening of the film Paddington in English and we decided to go.  It was at a very, shall we say, intimate cinema in the town of Parthenay.  Here's a photo I took of it while we waited for the film to start (much to Danny's embarrassment!)..


As regards the film itself, it was wonderful and I can't recommend it highly enough!

So, that's about it for this update.  Maybe there'll be more news - or more interesting news! - next time.  I will just leave you with one last photo.  I noticed the little snowdrops in this flower bed this week and quickly rushed to take a photo.  I think they are such marvellous flowers, braving the elements and forcing their way through despite the cold weather....


And that's it for this time.

À bientôt!

 


 
 

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to be motivated in winter!!! Your staircase is a similar shape to ours but we do have a handrail. We go to the cinema fairly often here, there are always a selection of English films on and a great pizza restaurant pretty close by. Good excuse to have a cheap evening out :-)Keep warm Diane

    ReplyDelete